Friday, December 11, 2009

Winter Meetings...Yawn


I was hoping for some movement from the Twins regarding the 3B and 2B positions at the Winter Meetings. Of course nothing happened. Kevin Kouzmanoff, Mark DeRosa and Dan Uggla were all rumored to possibly be coming here. I realize they could still be a part of the team, but I will just have to get my mind used to the fact that a 3B/2B combination of Joe Crede and Nick Punto will be the more likely option. Beige has always been the color of choice for the Twins.
The truth of the matter is if Joe Crede could give the Twins 120 games at third base he would be more than adequate with his glove alone. I'm not sure I've seen a better fielding Twins third basemen. In only 84 games his UZR/150 was 23.4 which placed him 4th best in the majors among third basemen who played 3B a minimum of 100 innings. His bat would obviously have to produce at a greater rate than his .289 on base percentage from last season. Unfortunately I have little faith in Crede's back. It's not his fault. Bad backs have a way of not getting better, but If I had a crystal ball getting Crede for 120 games would be the way I would go if I were the Twins.

No comments:

Post a Comment